Brvt General Frederick Ballier


Brevet Brigadier General John F. Ballier


Auirch, Wurtemberg, Germany on August 28, 1815


Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on February 3, 1893


Mount Peace Cemetery, Philadelphia, Pennsyvlania
(Section I, Lot 430)


Baker & US Mint night watchman before war.
Hotel proprieter after the war

Other Wars:

Mexican War


Member of Military Commission, Trial of
CSA Capt. Henry Wirz


Bvt. Brig. Gen. USV, July 13, 1864, for distinguished
gallantry throughout the present campaign before Richmond, Virginia

The following appeared in the Evening Bulletin on Febraury 4, 1893, pg 2:

General Ballier, A Gallant Soldier and Useful Citizen

After a prolonged illness froom kidney troubles, General John F Ballier died at his residence, Fourth street and Fairmount avenue, yesterday morning. He was a veteran of two wars and a man highly esteemed in the community.
General Ballier was a native of Aurich, Wurtemburg, where he was born August 28, 1815. He worked as a baker there until 1838, when he moved to Philadelphia and set up business here as a baker. In the following year he became a member of the Washington Light Infantry, a crack German military organization of three companies, whose flag is prized as an honroed relie by the German society. In May 1844, during the Native American riots, Ballier was orderly sargeant of the guard, and, in the absense of his superior officers, by his coolness and courage, presented the mob from burning St. John's Catholic Chruch, of Thirteenth street, and with his command did good services in restoring order. When in 1846, the Washington Light Infantry went to Mexico, Ballier was promoted first lieutenant of Captain Binder's comany, and in that capacity participated in the battles of Vera Cruz, Cerro Gordo, Buena Vista, Huamantia, Pueblo, Contreras and the City of Mexico. During the latter part of the campaign he acted as regimental quartermaster and superintendent of the combined bakery of the entire army.
In 1848, at the close of the war, he returned with his command to Philadelphia. It reentered the military service, and Lieutenant Blalier subsequently rose to captain and then to major. He retired from the baking business in 1852 and was captain of the night watch in the Mint until 1861, when President Lincoln called for volunteers to serve for ninety days. The Washington Light Regiment responded, and with it as a nucleus Major Ballier, the advice of General Cadwalader, formed the Twenty-first Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers for the three months service. At the expiration of their time, Colonel Ballier recruited and orgainized the Ninety-eighth Regiment for three years' service. He led the command in many of the battles of the war, among them Yorktown, Williamsburg (where the Ninety-eighth decided victory and Colonel Ballier received on the battlefield due acknowledgement for the achievement), Mechansville, Fair Oaks, Malvern Hill, Antietam and Fredericksburg. At Mayre's Heights Colonel Ballier was wounded in the ankle and was for five weeks in the hospital in consequence. When recovered from his injury he returned to his regiment commanding it in battles of Rappahannock Station, Spottsylvania, the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, Petersburg and Fort Stevens, near Washington, D.C. when General Early menaced the captial. At Fort Stevens he was in command of th Second Division of he received his second, and most dangerous wound, a rifle ball penetrating his thigh; After being conveyed to the hospital he ws surprised by a visit from President Lincoln, on July 12, 1864, who after acknowledging the gallant conduct and eminent services of his troops, promoted him brevet brigadier-general of volunteers. The Ninety-eighth subsequently participated in several other battles, and was present at the surrender of Lee. A complete history of the regiment was written by General Ballier for "Bates's History of Pennsylvania in the War." While convalescing, General Ballier served for ten months as a member of a court martial in Washington, acting on the cases of Confederate prisoners.
Soon after he returned to Philadelphia General Ballier purchased the ancient hotel property at Fourth street and Fairmount avenue, which is now generally known as the Ballier House. In 1866 he was appointed a day inspector in the Custom House, which position he resigned in 1867, when he was elected a City Commissioner, holding that office until 1870. In 1869 he was Colonel of the Third Regiment and retained command until 1876, when he resigned on account of advancing years. He never discarded the German customs and habits, and in his early days he was a most active member of various charitable Institutions and societies, notably the German Hospital of which he was a corpotor; the German Society and the Canslatter Voksfest Verein, of which he was one of the founders, and vice-president from 1878 until his death. In 1864 while in Philadelphia sick for a short time, he became a member of Hermann Lodge No 125 F an A.M. The funeral will take place on Monday.

The following appeared in the Evening Bulletin on Febraury 4, 1893, pg 3:

BALLIER-February 3, General John F Ballier, Aged 77 years 6 months. The relatives and friends of th family, as also all are invited to attend the funeral on Monday, February 6., at 1 P.M. from his former residence, northeast corner Fourth and Fairmount avenue, Interment at Mount Peace.

The following appeared in the Evening Bulletin on Febraury 6, 1893:

The Body of the Old Soldier Interred in Mount Peace Cemetery

The body of General John F. Ballier, who died on Friday last, was interred in Mount Peace Cemetery this afternoon. The funeral took place from the old solider's late residence, northeast corner of Fourth street and Fairmount avenue, and was attended by a large number of personal friends, besides delegations from civil organizations of which the dead soldier had been a memeber.
Funderal services were conducted at the house and a short interrment service at the grave.
At the house, Rev. F. W. Berleman, of the Salem Reform Church, conducted the services, and at the grave the services were those prescribed for members of masonic lodges and the Grand Army of the Replublic. Delegations were present from the Ninety-fifth and Ninety-eighth Regiments, Pennsylvania Volunteers; Posts 2 and 228; G.A.R., the Canstatter Volksfest Verein Hermann Lodge, No. 125, F and A.M.; Liquor Dealer's Assocation, De Kalb Lodge, Order of Druids and the Liederkrauz. From those organizations the pallbearers were selected.

The following appeared in the Philadelphia Public Ledger on Febraury 7, 1893, pg 1:

Two Soldiers of The War

While The Inquirer has been reprinting from its files of thrity-one years ago a daily record of the progress of the war for the Union and accounts of the movements of the troops of Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware and other States to the front, many of hte men who participated in that great movement have been making another journey from which there wil be no homecoming. In the pocket of a general officer who recently died and who in 1861 led a Philadelphia regiment to the front were found a number of clippings of The Inquirer reprint. Last week there died in teh city two general offiers who went from Philadelphia to the front in the early days of the war, and in retelling the story of those stirring times The Inquirer had frequently had occasion to record the movements of the regiments to which these officers belonged. The almost simultaneious death of General Markoe and General Ballier suggest anew who the civil war united men of all ranks of life in a common purpose and ispired them with one patriotic implus. General Markoe was a representative of a Philadelphia family of long acknowledged social position. More than a century ago his great anscestor had been captain of the City Troop. It is a favorite American idea that inherited wealth and social position disqualify a man for service which requires self-sacrifice and the virile elementary traits of human nature. But the Meades, McClellans, Fiddles, Cadwaladers, Carpenters, Markoes and other Philadelphians who distinguished themselves by their gallant services between 1861 and 1865 in those services threw doubt upon the truth of the theory. Young Markoe, we believe, enlisted as a private. His bravery and his wounds gained him distinction, and before the war was over he had won the rank of a general officer by brevet. General Ballier represented the new element of the American nation. He was born in Germany. In the Mexican war he put to shame older Americans of the northeastern part of the country by supporting the cause of the country of his adoption. During the civil war he was a zealous and faithful officer of hte Union army and he, too, won his promotion by his services and his wounds. However widley their ways of civil life differ, at the same time of the Union's peril, Markoe and Ballier were animated by the same manly spirit and patriotism. So it was everywhere. The national peril revealed the nation's heroes, wheather they came of a lineage already venerable for this country of whether they were but recement immigrants and saw in this government of the people the fulfillment of the home so long cherished in spite of the rule of privileged classes in countries whence they came.

The following appeared in the Philadelphia Public Ledger on Febraury 4, 1893:

BALLIER - February 3d, General John F Ballier, aged 77 years 6 months. The relatives and friends ofthe family, as also all organizations of which the deceased was a member are invited to attend the funeral on Monday, February 6th, at 1 P.M., from his former residence, N.E. corner Fourth street and Fairmount avenue. Interment at Mount Peace.

The following appeared in the Philadelphia Public Ledger on Febraury 7, 1893:

Fundeal of General John F Ballier

The funeral of General John F Ballier took place yesterday afternoon from his late residence, at the northeast corner of Fourth street and Fairmount avenue, and was attended by represetnatives of many organizations of which he had been a prominent member. Among them were Posts 2 and 228, Grand Army of the Republic; Scott Legion, comprising veterans of the Mexican war; Fairmount Lodge, No. 135, and Mark lodge, No. 91, Free and Accepted Masons; 98th Pennsylvania Volunteers; Canstatter Volksfest Verein, Bavarian Volksfest Verein, Schuetzen Voksfest Verein, and Hermann Lodge, No. 125, Ancient York Masons. Services at the house were conducted by Rev. F.W. Berleman, of Salem-German Reform church, and included the singing of a dirge by the Leiderkranz. Interment was at Mount Peace Cemetery, where services were conducted according to Masonic and Grand Army rites.

The information provided here has been gathered from a Library and appeared in Period Newspapers. We are grateful for the help in obtaining this information

Go back to original members page Go back to Home Page Go ahead to roster page